Confusion Fire Hose Reel Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayfactor

Mechanical
Jun 17, 2015
IN
Hi Guys,

My local code (which is based on NFPA), it says the coverage for fire hose reel is 30m maximum. But it doesn't specify if this includes the hose stream allowance or not.

When I was in Australia we were allowed 30m hose reel coverage plus 6m stream allowance, i.e if your hose couldn't reach the most remotest point it wasn't an issue as long as the hose stream could reach that point.

But I am having an argument here with the fire consultant who is telling me in need another FHC, as the most remote point is 32m, i.e in excess of 30m. Can I argue my way out ?
Hydraulically, most the fire fighting capability is there.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

If we refer to NFPA 14, the hose shall not be more than 100 ft (30.5 m). Section 4.6.2.1 states that " Each hose connection provided for use by trained personnel (Class II and Class III systems) shall be equipped with not more than 100 ft (30.5 m) of listed, 11⁄2 in. (40 mm), lined, collapsible or noncollapsible fire hose attached and ready for use. "

Moreover, Section 7.3.3.1 states that " Class II systems shall be provided with 11⁄2 in. (40 mm) hose stations so that all portions of each floor level of the building are within 130 ft (39.7 m) of a hose connection provided with 11⁄2 in. (40 mm) hose or within 120 ft (36.6 m) of a hose connection provided with less than 11⁄2 in. (40 mm) hose. " .

Thus, you are allowed roughly 9 m water stream if you have a 1 1/2 in hose and 6 m stream if you have less than 1 1/2 in hose.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back