Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Conical head

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFEA

Mechanical
Jul 25, 2015
AR
I need to model a 4m diameter 60° conical head with a 2in nozzle on the vertex. How can I do it in compress? Please help. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Federico,

This is a pretty crazy cone. I would suggest not taking this route and to use a head with a nozzle coming out of it.

Also, one thing to note is that since your angle is greater than 30 degrees, you would fall under UW-12 type 8 and the design falls outside the normal instruction of ASME Section VIII.

Anyway, to answer your question. In the transition menu, set the large end diameter to 4 meters, the small end diameter to 2.375"
To calculate the length, you take the ((Major OD-Minor OD)/2)/(tan(angle)). This would be ((157.5" - 2.375")/2)/tan (60) which gets you about 45". You can check your work in the details on the right tab at the bottom.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your answer Afox!

I will consider using another kind of head.

In any case, does Compress provide a tool for modelling conical heads? Because a transition with small end diameter = 0 is not an option.

I don't think Compress has the ability to model a cone that ends at a point. You could make a cone that ends at whatever Od, and then put a flat plate at the end of it.

Also to clarify my previous post, I would suggest an elliptical head with a nozzle coming out of the center.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back