Connecting CHP to National Grid

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProcessRookie

Chemical
Feb 11, 2013
GB
Hi All,

I am completing a study on the potential for connecting an existing CHP plant, which supplies power locally to my site, to the national grid to sell surplus power to the grid. I simply need to know what new infrastructure I would need to install to make this connection.

- Do I need to install a new power line back to the grid or can the existing grid power supply line be used?
-Do I need a new metering unit to measure the power I supply to them?
-Any other equipment required?

I assume the best port of call is to speak to the grid operator, but any information up from would be great.

The scientist describes what is; the engineer creates what never was.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

best port of call is to speak to the grid operator

Absolutely. They can flat-out deny it, require monkeys stacked in pyramids, or allow it - as long as you "pay them to haul away your waste power".

Best bet with a power company is to find the right guy to ask first, as asking the wrong guy can bring out the monkeys. I'd suggest you find a similar place to yours who's actually done it and take someone there to lunch to hear their tale of what it took to do it and most specifically who to talk to at the POCO.

Keith Cress
kcress -

I would hazard a guess from the choice of phrase that you're in the UK.

Unless this is a very large CHP then you won't be connecting to the transmission system and you will need to speak to the local Distribution Network Operator (DNO) rather than National Grid. Your DNO very likely has information available online for embedded generators. You could need anything from bi-directional metering through to network reinforcement and a new primary substation: there's simply too little information in your post about either your CHP or the local distribution network to make any kind of guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back