Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting polyurethane to aluminium

Status
Not open for further replies.

i want to connect polyurethane to aluminium. it can be done by over mold or glue or other ideas. i need for the surface between the parts to be without any bubbels of air. are there any suggestions for materilas, priemers and methods. the connection has to be very strong.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am a Plastic Designer and in my past experience with my clients I have found it to be beneficial to over-mold the Urethane onto the metal part. Adhesives were used as a fall back plan and the adhesive materials were perfected especially for each of the companies, which makes them propritary. I am not sure exactlly what type of parts you are trying to manufacture. There are a few options that need to be followed for each specific application. Please reply back if you need further insight.

Live Aloha

In my experience, the best way to get a really good "bond" between PU and aluminum is with a mechanical lock. The way I've seen it done is to have holes or passages for the PU to flow thru and lock to the aluminum in an over mold / injection mold process. For instance, the hub of a wheel, aluminum in your case, has hollow sections around the OD. The PU is injected onto the hub, and flows into the hole. If done correctly, this forms a very tough "bond".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back