Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting (soldering?) aluminium sheet and pipe 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

drodrig

Mechanical
Mar 28, 2013
DE
Hi there,

We are designing a cooling shell (ethanol, at -25ºC / -13ºF). It consists of a pipe 10/8mm and an aluminium sheet (as thin as possible: 1 or 2 mm)

Here some pictures of the current design:

front01_ol9ixk.jpg

front02_dpfzjn.jpg

The sheet is ca. 800mm / 30inches (maximum length)

The pipe will (probably) be AW 6082, CNC bent, the sheet we can decide.

How can we connect them to have a good thermal transfer?

The problem with soldering is that the sheet will deform because of the temperature

Glue or thermal paste don't have good thermal conductivity

Maybe some clamps.

My favourite option would be soldering, adding material for a good contact. Is there any option here?

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is often done using furnace brazing. A brazing paste is applied to fixtured parts and the whole assembly is evenly heated in a furnace. An inert atmosphere will keep the parts clean.

The catch here is that Al is difficult to braze other than in vacuum.
With Cu this would be a piece of cake.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

EdStainless,
These glues could be an option, but they have poor thermal conductivity.

Compositepro,
The furnace brazing seems promising, I'll dig into that

Unfortunately, we need to use aluminium for this project

thanks!

Those glues will be a 1000x better than a mechanical fastening system, and if you are careful and keep the fit tight so that the bond line is only a few thousandths of an inch they will add an insignificant amount of resistance to heat transfer.
It would help greatly if you could slightly flatten the tube so that it had more contact area against the plate. We used to use square tube for projects like this.

drodrig,

Adhesive has poor thermal conductivity specifications. If the adhesive has a large cross-sectional area and it is thin, it may still be very conductive.

Is there any way to use square tubing?

--
JHG

Hi there,

I'm talking to the company to see the possibilities for square section tubes. They want a lot of money for the bending tools.

cheers,

Use round tube and pull it between a pair of rolls to flatten it some (the shape is called 'double D'). In Cu square and rectangular tube is fairly common.

Dip brazing is your best chance of success if both the sheet and pipe are aluminum alloys. The aluminum braze filler metal melts at about 50 degrees F lower than the melting point of many aluminum alloys. With such a small temperature window, it is difficult to precisely control the temperature using methods other than dip brazing.

Best regards - Al

I found a company (in France - I'm based in Germany) which can do it (after some negative answers)

They can do it with vacuum. It's now know how much the plate will deform, so they'll run a first test.

EdStainless,
I'll ask them about the double D option. It sounds good.

gtaw,
If this vacuum doesn't work I'll check the dip brazing

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back