Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting storage area directly to river reach unsteady flow in HECRAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarvinRao

Civil/Environmental
Dec 16, 2021
MY
HI, I have been modelling a flood mitigation project in HEC-RAS in which I have a storage area1 connected to the upstream of the river and the river's downstream connected to storage area2. It's basically like water from storage area1 goes to storage area2 through the river but the river has it's own catchment area flow. When I run the simulation it asking for initial flow but this is an unsteady flow. I have other boundary conditions for the river based on the divided catchment but the program only reads the initial flow and performing a constant flow simulation. This effects my Q along the river reach (shown as constant) but in reality the Q has to be adding up throughout the river reach to storage area2. Can anyone help me on this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Make sure you are running the unsteady flow simulation. What type of Boundary Condition (BC) are you assigning to the River? Post a screenshot of your Unsteady Flow Data to better understand your situation. For Unsteady flow BC, you should have either a Flow Hydrograph, Stage Hydrograph, Normal depth, or a Rating Curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back