Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Connecting Timber-Framed Residential Structures to Masonry Foundation Walls 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero1238

Structural
Oct 6, 2017
US
I was recently reading over the WFCM and was trying to find a section on how to connect a timber-framed residential structure to a masonry foundation wall. I understand this is typically done with the use of anchor bolts and the sill plate, however, are there any additional interior/exterior fastening systems or connections necessary as well? For example, hurricane clips on the inside attaching the joist to the sill or strapping on the outside connecting the sheathing to the rim board and then to the foundation wall? I've checked both IRC and IBC texts along with the WFCM and haven't read any clear-cut ways on what is to be accepted. Can anyone provide any guidance or perhaps point me in the direction of where I could find more information? Just trying to understand the best/most acceptable way to make this connection.

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The basic requirement is that you have to have a continuous tensile load path between the roof and the foundation. There are numerous ways to accomplish this from various appliances such as straps, clips and corner anchoring devices, continuous rods, cables, etc.

Check Simpson Strong Tie and other suppliers for appropriate devices.

Thank you, Ron. I know that most times there is strapping on the exterior sheathing but I wasn't sure if there was anything else needed besides hurricane clips from the sill to the floor joists at the foundation-to-first floor connection. This makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back