Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Connecting to a slc 500 What is the easiest way

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric34

Electrical
Feb 17, 2007
CA
Hello I am trying to connect to a slc 500 AB PLC and wanted some input on what is the easiest,cheapest most reliable way.I figure that DH485 but my pc doesn't have a serial port.Would this be useable out of the PLC with network cable into a convertor to serial from serial to USB?
What driver do I use in rslinx?This is the first PLC on are plant and will be the only one the PLC will sit no more than 150ft from my PC.
Can anyone give me a hand with this.I always find this is the hardest part and when I get past this I will be off and running.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If your PC has a USB port then use the 1747-UIC. It works straight out of the box without the troubles of the ealier 1747-PIC which used the serial port. In the UK it costs about £100 which by A-B standards is almost giving it away.

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

I have a serial card if I put in in my PC could I run out of the DH 485 port through a convertor to serial(have one from the old modicon micro we ran before)and into the serial port??I don't have a problem getting a 1747-UIC but if this will work it will be faster.

Hi Eric,

Not sure if RS-485 and DH-485 are implemented exactly the same way at a hardware level, although they are certainly related. Worth a try I guess. I'm not very hopeful - please post back and let us know.

image.php

Nope that didn't work.Please be patient with me ,I find this confusing,Communition has aways been a weak point.At the plant I am at it is mostly set up for us and we take over.
I put a serial card in the PC can I use the RS 232 port now? Do I use the RS232 DF! driver in Linx?Is it a standard cable?

The processor is a SLC 5/03.I now have a PCI card serial port in my pc.Is the cable standard, if not do you know where I can get the pin out.

I think it is a male-male 9-pin D-type connected as a null modem. Sorry I haven't got the pinout to hand - I use the DH-485 port normally and I'm off work today so I haven't got a reference book handy. The null modem pinouts are pretty standard.

image.php

Boy oh Boy I'm close now.I got the pin out, made a cable, created a rs 232 DF1 driver in linx(running)Auto configure was successful.Go into RSLOGIX 500 go to go online and it comes up with a error"the target node is not a SLC-500 or micrologix controller"This is a brand new program I am trying to download do I have to set something up in the logix program?

In RS LOGIX I whent to controller properties, controller comm, and I noticed that the comm path is empty.I think this is the problem.If I go to RS WHO and try to apply path it won't take the OK key and I can't seem to get anything in there.

Don't know if you've found your solution yet, but I figured I'd throw my 2cents in. Have you setup your channel config in RSLOGIX 500 ? This is where you'll change Node addresses. I'm assuming you have RSLinx configured correctly, as you say auto -config was successful. Make sure the node address in RSLinx matches the one you have in channel config. In case you don't know, look in the tree of the program you wrote. Make sure Channel 0 is set to DF1 Full Duplex,Baud-19200, Parity-None,
Stop Bits- 1, Ctrl Line-No Handshaking, Error Det.-CRC. The rest just leave. Check Channel 1 for Node Address. This should do it for you. Didn't catch which slick you're using. I'm assuming a SLC503.

Yes I got it running and it was a node add.Thanks everyone.
I posted the pin-out of the AB 1747-CP3 cable.It cost me $16 canadian.Alot cheaper than AB.
1 NC 1
2 3
3 2
4 6
5 5
6 4
7 8
8 7 Both ends are female.

i had exactly the same issue communicating with an slc/503 and asked similar questions on this site. once you can see the processor on the who active screen suggests comms ok. in the end i found out that you cannot inteface with an slc that is programmed using a later version of rs logix. i updated my rs logix to the lates version and away i went all looked good. the problem sound exactly identical its worth a go what verion of rslogix are you running??

Well since you have a 503 DH-485 network or you can use the DF1 RS232 port on the front. If this is your first PLC in your plant I would try and get it changed out to Ethernet or a 505.

But anyway if it is DH485 you can buy a 1747-pic (RS-232 to DH-485 converter) to your pc. or a 1747-UIC USB this came out in 2003 for your pc. I believe DH485 is 5000 ft capable.

But if you want to use the RS232 port then use "Black Box" EDDC cable spec, guarenteed to 500 feet. I think other people above gave you a pin out.

Don't buy the 1747-PIC. It is a creation of Satan and will cause you endless troubles. Buy the 1747-UIC.

Seriously, most newer serial ports can not provide enough power to run the PIC reliably, and the situation is worse on some modern laptops where the power management cuts even more power from the serial port when running on battery. The PIC was designed based on the original PC-AT serial port spec, but that spec has been chipped away at over time. Modern serial ports on the whole do not meet the original spec, especially regarding how much power can be drawn from the port. This is the underlying cause of most problems with the PIC.

image.php
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back