Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting two helical gears

Status
Not open for further replies.

faith4keep

Mechanical
Jul 31, 2007
US
Hello all,

I'm sure this is a very simple question!

I have two identical helical gears that I am trying to put into one assembly. They should be "connected" so that when one gear has a motor and moves, the other will move too. However, I can't figure out what connection type I am supposed to be using to get the gear spurs to mesh correctly.

I know that eventually I will have to make them a "gear pair" so any advice on that would be MUCH appreicaited. Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

f4k

What you are looking to make is called a gear connection.

First, you need to assemble both gear/shaft assemblies using pin connections (I'm assuming you've done so).

The next step is to create the gear connection in Mechanism mode. Start Mechanism mode using Applications-->Mechanism.

Create the gear connection by going to Mechanism(top menu)-->Gears

When you make the gear connection, pick the joint axis created by each pin connection on their respective tabs, and indicate the pitch circle diameter. Pro/E will then calculate the gear ratio based on these values. You might need to hit the 'flip' button between the carrier and ground on one of the gear definitions to ensure the rotations is int he right direction.

Note that this method does not actually need the gear geometry to mesh. It simply adds a constraint between the two joint axes which ensures that as one moves, the other moves accordingly.

If you want the gears to actually mesh, go into the Drag dialog (pointing hand with 4 direction arrow on it), go into the 'Constraints' tab and then select the "Enable/Disable Connections" button. You will be able to then temporarily disable the gear connection by picking its green icon. At this point, drag one of the gears so that it appears to mesh with the other one, and then enable the gear connection once again.

I recommend saving a snapshot of the mechanism (also in the drag dialog) once it's meshed so that way you don't have to repeat the above process in case they go out of mesh again (pro/e does that sometimes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back