Connection design RAM Connection 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saedhalteh

Civil/Environmental
Nov 8, 2019
JO
Hello all

In RAM CONNECTION there are a number of connections and each connection have specified the loads required to formulate all the design checks as shown below
now for example a standard TEE Section only designed for shear forces as it shown in the image ,
my question is this is something specifed by the program or by the code ??( Does the code speciy that TEE Connections is only designed for shear and not for axial or bending )

CaptureRAMC_uajo3t.png

and if someone can guide me to good resource to understand the connection design I would really appreciate that .

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tees just welded to the toes are not really suited for axial loads. RAM is telling you not to use them as such.

If you look at the forces on the welds and in the tee flange you will see why.

Though I will point out that this argument about axial loads not being appropriate for the normal weld configuration of a WT shear connection doesn't really apply if it's a bolted WT. In that case, the axial behavior is pretty well documented in AISC for Hangers as long as you check for prying action in the bolts.

Thank you for replying.
I am using Standard tee connection bolted as show in the picture, but when I apply some axial load to the joint it show no capacity check and the ratio is 0.0

RAM_Connection_ST_BCF_qjnvxl.png

I am new to the filed so if you could suggest me good source to understand the connection design I would really appreciate it
Does the code specify a method to design each type of connection such as Standard tee connection or single plate connection and what forces is applicable to each connection type ?

AISC is a good place to start.
1) AISC Steel Construction Manual 15th edition. In particular tables 15-2a and b might help with the axial loading of this type of connection.
2) Any AISC design guides. Though this is more for base plates, moment connections, braced frames
3) AISC design examples. They have a lot of them.
4) Tamboli's "Handbook of Structural Steel Connection Design and Details"

The chart from Ram Connection is provided so the user knows what forces each connection type is evaluated for. In this case, the Standard Tee is a shear connection only. This is not an AISC stipulation, but often the program limitations stem from the guidance or examples in the code. If you want to use Ram Connection for a shear and axial connection the single plate (shear tab) is a better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back