Connection Rigidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadeer Salah

Civil/Environmental
Aug 10, 2018
EG
Dears,

Regarding design the moment connections, are there any requirements to classify each designed moment connections into (Rigid / Semi Rigid) connection or it is enough to follow the design procedures & safety checks that mentioned in AISC standard & Design Guide (16)?

Hadeer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Section 11 of the AISC manual is titled "Design of Partially Restrained Moment Connections" and will provide some better guidance on this subject than I can give. Some references (from that section) that jump out at me:

1) AISC specification B3.4b(b) which states that if the rotation between connected members is not negligible (i.e.) then the force deformation characteristics should be included in the analytical model.
2) Various papers by Gerschwinder (1991), Deierlein et al (1990), Goverdhan
3) Design Guide 8 on partially restrained composite connections.

I believe in section 11 of the manual (Design of Fully Restrained Moment Connections", they give some curves to demonstrate where various FR moment connections fall on the moment-rotation relationship. My belief is that Extended Bolted End Plate Moment Connections are the most flexible of the FR moment connections. Ergo, any FLUSH end plate moment connection, seated angle moment connection, would automatically be called a PR moment connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back