Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connections Shells and Solids

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIMS666

Mechanical
Oct 8, 2007
GB
I am trying to set up a simple problem with a block of solid materail with a hole thru it and a simple plate which is a shell. The hole has a rivet passing thru it. I have tryed varoius ways of creating a joint without success the only way which seems to work is a rigid connection which creates a singularity which yields the results to be inaccurate. Does anyone know how to connect a mid plan shell to a solid. Has anyone else come across this problem? or know of a solution?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From what I understand you can use a fastener to connect these. If you are connecting a shell to a solid you can only use a "bolt" fastener, not a "screw" fastener. Read the PTC faq on fasteners, it is very useful. Keep in mind that rivets do have a preload too so you might want to use the "advanced fastener".

Hi;

I've had this 'not so simple for me' problem before and I had to go to mechanica independent mode and use a beam element with two link type elements (1D to 2D) and (1D to 3D).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back