Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Consequence and Analysis of a Tank Being Overfilled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soln

Civil/Environmental
Mar 9, 2010
US
A client has asked me what happens to a tank if it were overfilled to the point where fluids ran out of the emergency vent. The tank has a self supporting dome roof and the overfill vent would result in about 5 feet of water above the roof to shell joint, almost filling the dome space. The tank is an API 650 design.

I'm wondering if this is familiar to anyone and if so, would appreciate any recommendations on an analysis method or recommended software.

Will the (upward?) pressure on the roof will impose compressive stress on the top angle, and the greatest risk be to the roof to top angle joint. Should we be concerned with the fact the shell has been overstressed (filled past the design liquid level)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless the roof vent(s) are grossly undersize, there will be no significant upward force on the roof, or the roof-to-shell joint. Check all the possible "Fill" scenarios, and ensure that the vent(s) are bigger than the pump(s) fill capacity. If the tank is cross-connected to any other tanks, that take into account also. Simple.

If the venting is incorrect, fix it ASAP. You have a disaster waiting to happen. If that roof is actually frangible, it will be a small disaster. If the roof-to-shell joint holds, it could be VERY ugly.

You can check the compression effects in the top angle section using the methods from API-620. You could also get some uplift of the shell from the foundation.

For a lot of smaller tanks, shell thickness is based on minimum thickness anyway, and the extra 5' wouldn't matter. Check the stresses and see how it compares to the hydrotest stress or the allowable stress for existing shells from API-653.

We are planning to calculate the maximum allowable internal pressure using API 650 App F, then multiplying that pressure times the internal area of the dome to come up with what we believe the maximum total load on the roof to shell joint is.

Then we plan to calculate the normal forces on the dome due to the hydrostatic load from partial fill of the dome space up to the overflow, and then calculate the resulting overall load on the dome. If that load is less than the maximum load due to the maximum internal pressure, we think the roof would not fail.

This might even be conservative, as the liquid level above the joint results in an outward hydrostatic load on the joint, which should be ‘helping’ the compression ring resist the joint collapse.

Hi... I have some pictures of a 35000 barrels water tank that was overfilled. The roof-shell joint has now a visible plastic deformation. I´m posting one picture here. If you want, I could post more.
The tank was designed to receive 6 L/s with a 4" inlet nozzle. The overfill nozzle is 4". During a non autorized operation of the water source system, the tank received 60 L/s during night shift for 4 hours. The overfilling protection system was not conected, because the tank is under construction. I'm writing the technical report of what happened. Now, reading your posts, I have another ideas on how to explain it. thanks!.. if you have other comments which were the causes, please, let me know. I would appreciate them.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=44fb5d30-59eb-4672-89d5-8d72c18e9a28&file=DSC02812-2.jpg
vargaslu,
When you say "the overfilling protection system was not connected", does that mean that the 4" overfill nozzle was blocked?

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back