Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

consolidate BOMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

spitfire2332

Mechanical
Apr 10, 2010
US
Is there any way in solidworks to take the BOMs from several different sub-assemblies, including the top level assembly, and consolidate them? Some of these sub-assemblies contain the same part numbers, so I am trying to create one BOM with all necessary quantities to build said sub-assemblies and top level. This is mainly for purchasing dept. so that I nor they need to go through every drawing and verify quantities before ordering. I am currently running solidworks 2009. thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the BOM on the SW drawing, there is the option in BOM type for 'Parts Only'.

This will list each component and the total quantity from the Assembly View in your drawing (disregarding any break down into sub-assemblies).

Is this what you are looking for?

Or, do you have different assemblies, not included in the main top level, that you want added to the BOM.
In that case, you will probably need to open a new assy and insert all of the parts/assy that you want included on the BOM. Then insert that assy into your drawing and create the BOM from it, selecting 'Parts Only'.

Hope this helps.

I'll try to give a brief example of my assembly to help:

1. top level
a. sub assembly one
b. sub assembly two
c. sub assembly three

ALL of these assemblies share at least one part used in different quantities. What I am looking for is one BOM that will only call out the parts (much like you described) for everything from the top level down. Basically everything on the BOMs for the sub-assemblies AND the top level (obviously not calling out the sub-assemblies) to appear on one BOM. We're trying to avoid looking through drawings, and perhaps writing down the wrong quantities because one will show 3 and one will show 5 and people get confused (why I dont know). So we're just looking at ways to make things easier by having everything on one BOM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back