Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Constant Angular Velocity During Transient Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBee

Aerospace
Feb 18, 2020
DE
Hello everyone,

i'm currently working at a project that requires the rotation of an instance with a constant angular velocity. External forces are then applied onto the part via a coupling constraint.
Basically the problem is best described as a part with an fixed end that rotates around this fixed end.
Initial Velocity Fields are not an option because the external forces immediately change the angular velocity defined in the initial step.
I then tried to model the rotation using a angular velocity boundary condition, but the effect seems similar to using an initial field.

Is there any possibility to implement this rotation in Abaqus
My current workaround is to transform the external forces respective to the time dependent rotation and leave the part fixed in place.
But a moving/rotating part would be better for visualization purposes.

Thank you very much in advance for any answers/help.

Alex

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As you say, initial velocity won’t work because it’s not kept constant during the analysis. However, properly applied angular velocity boundary condition should work as expected - nodes with this BC will keep rotating with specified velocity during the whole analysis. Just keep in mind that solid elements don’t have rotational degrees of freedom so you have to apply such BCs to their nodes via kinematic coupling or rigid body constraint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back