Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Constantinesco Gearless Torque Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

joedunai

Mechanical
Mar 3, 2012
RS
While doing some research on power acoustics, stumbled upon a curiosity that is quite interesting. George CONSTANTINESCO who was a genius inventor in the beginning of nineteen hundreds has invented an automatic continuously variable gearless transmission, which was publicly demonstrated in one of his cars. There were no gears and no clutch in his car, and it was so simple to drive it that a child could do it. But the main point and value of this invention is its astoundingly high efficiency which was around 90%!

Its working principle is based on vibration mechanics. Here are some of his related patents which you can download from freepatentsonline.com

US Patent 1,525,269
METHOD AND APPARATUS FOR TRANSMITTING POWER PROM A STEADILY ROTATING SHAFT TO A DRIVEN SHAFT

US Patent 1,550,505
POWER TRANSMISSION

US Patent 1,545,401
POWER TRANSMISSION

US Patent 1,569,719
POWER TRANSMISSION

US Patent 1,570,554
PUMP

US Patent 1,609,698
CLUTCH AND UNIDIRECTIONAL DRIVING DEVICE

US Patent 1,618,915
UNIDIRECTIONAL DRIVING DEVICE

US Patent 1,642,645
UNIDIRECTIONAL DRIVING FORCE

US Patent 1,664,874
UNIDIRECTIONAL DRIVING DEVICE

Here is an article about the invention with a figure that explains the working principles of the gearless drive:

Here is a simulink analysis of the torque converter:

And finally a video demonstration of the working principle built from lego parts:

The torque converter was used in some Malaxa switching locomotives and rail cars of the 1930's and 40's (if I'm not mistaken), some of which can still be found in use today.

My impression is that the only reason for this torque converter not being used in today’s cars is its high efficiency, which does not serves the oil industries interests. Just like some carburetor inventions with too low fuel consumption were suppressed by oil interest.

I am looking for expert opinions about this converter. Can you point out any feature that would render this invention impractical, too expensive, or otherwise unfit for use in today’s cars? What do you think, why was this suppressed? What is the combined efficiency of the gear-clutch transmissions used today, for manual and for automatic transmissions?

Joe

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sadly your penultimate paragraph makes me dubious about having any rational discussion. Can you think why an industry that regards fuel economy as a big selling pitch would deliberately ignore a CVT that is almost as efficient as a manual trans?

Anyway, relying on ratchets for drive is the obvious weak point. A modern vehicle must hit 100000 miles without non routine servicing. These things clattering away will be high wear items.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back