Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Constrain to a plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

valdo

Aerospace
Aug 3, 2004
CA
How do you constrain a sketch to a plane,place a dimension It just doesen't work .I have inventor6

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,
You don't constrain a sketch on a plane you place it there. Within a part drawing select SKETCH and then select the plane you want it placed on. Unless you're doing something different that's all there is.

Cadranger

Thanks cadranger,
But my question was after you place the sketch on the sketch plane(i.e.XY) hoe do you constrain it to the other 2 planes(i.e XZ,YZ)

You need to project the plane geometry onto the sketch plane and constrain the sketch to this geometry. The projected plane must be perpendicular to the sketch plane.

I try to use the origin planes, axis, and center point as much as possible.

You can also project part geometry from other features for locating purposes.

Thanks DesignerMike,
My problem is that I cna't constrain anything to the origin planes,axes or center point.Is there anything I should do on ,settings maybe

You would also need to project the origin planes, axis, center point (just like other features) to the sketch to allow the sketch to be constrained to them. Once a sketch is fully constrained it will go black (not a requirement though)

I try to plan ahead a little on how I am going to be putting stuff together, and often will use the YZ axis as a mid-plane and center my work around the axis.....but everyone works differently, and your technique will change as your experience level changes. I'll go back to a part I modeled 3 years ago, and ask myself "what were you doing when you made this part?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back