Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Constrained Modulus Estimate for Hard Clay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirt Dept.

Geotechnical
Nov 18, 2016
US
I'm looking to estimate the constrained modulus (ksf) for use in the Janbu method for a hard dry clay that we were unable to extract brass cylinders for in the field during investigation. The clay was so hard that we could not drive the cylinders into the clay. Knowing that typical values for a stiff to hard clay at the upper end is around 60-70 ksf is there any literature or advice for estimating or quantifying the modulus of a very hard clay?

Thank you.

Blair Rushing, PE
Nelson Engineering
Jackson, Wyoming

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

what's the end game? To calculate elastic settlement under some areal load? Do you know that it's unsaturated? Clearly it's preconsolidated. Did you do the SPT? For N-values in the 20's, I'd guess more like 200 tsf for soil modulus. I'm also wondering why you are seeking constrained modulus.

So, care to provide the backstory?

f-d

ípapß gordo ainÆt no madre flaca!

End game is to calculate the estimated settlement beneath spread footings. We do know that it is and will remain unsaturated. The site is pretty remote so we only have information from test pits. Pocket penetrometer readings greater than 4.0 TSF. And sorry I didn't state correctly. I'm looking to estimate the virgin modulus number to utilize in the Janbu method.

Thank you.

Blair Rushing, PE
Nelson Engineering
Jackson, Wyoming

Pretty hard material. Doubt you would have any settlement to speak of subject to no disturbance during construction (and I know how that can happen) . . . this assumes, though, you have "normal" type footings with normal loadings - not like trying to support 1000 T on a 3ftx3ft footing! The following, which I would take as "fair use" is given in Hunt's book on Geotechnical Investigations and may be of help.
Deformation_Modulus_vs_UCC_wkgcsr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back