Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Constraints with limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrGrygar

Mechanical
Mar 4, 2013
CZ
Hi!

I'm here with another question, and I would be very glad if someone has helped. Is there a way, how to define constraint with limits? For example, I'd like to define that this node can move only by 2 millimeters, no more.

Thanks for any reply.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

sounds like a contact situation ?

re-reading your question, do you want to ...

1) stop the structure deflecting after 2mm (as though the structure has contacted the ground) and then react load ? or

2) make the structure stiff enough so the point only deflects 2mm ?

1) is contact, 2) is much harder (it's a structural optimisation problem, changing the stiffness of the structure to limit displacements).

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

The 1) is Right. But I'm looking for a way, how to write this BC in this way: displacement <2, not displacement = 0. Is it possible? It would be most useful, for example for modeling bearings, with an acceptable angular rotation e.g. spherical roller bearing. Simply in the middle of the bearing, perpendicular to it's axis I would created a cylindrical Csys, and then wrote this condition for e.g. 2°.

Hello!,
You have two options:
• CBUSH element allows to define in the PBUSH property where you can enter a curve of load vs. deflection and run a nonlinear analysis SOL106.
• CGAP elements, where you can define a GAP distance (the two mmm) and the compression stiffness when the GAP is closed. You can run linear SOL101 analysis or nonlinear SOL106 analysis.

Best regards,
Blas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48011 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: Blog de FEMAP & NX Nastran:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back