Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Construction bracing of CMU walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

rholder98

Structural
Oct 5, 2005
US
I was a little worried, because I could not find any temporary bracing for these 28 ft cmu walls. Luckily, though, I finally found this. Enjoy. . . .

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a standard (Masonry Wall Bracing Handbook) that is available from the MCAA (Masonry Contractors Association of America). From what I recall it includes bracing recommendations during concretuction and after grouting. It was developed about 4 or 5 years ago by members of the masonry industry and OSHA. It is not necessarily an engineering document, but is geared toward the practical guidlelines for bracing. I would imagine that some insurance carriers are not endorsing or criticizing the handbook.

The association is not necessarily the voice for the masonry industry, but represent a core of established contractors.

Thank you, hokie. I was feeling like the guy who tells a joke and hears only crickets.

That is, in fact, the brace--installed parallel to the wall. You know, because it would just be in the way if they brought it out from the wall.

Jokes aside, though, concretemasonry, thank you for the tip. I will try to find a copy of that document for future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back