Construction Management Expectations - Memorizing Contract Documents? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riversidean

Civil/Environmental
Sep 22, 2008
US
Hello Everyone,

Is it expected for a design engineer to remember everything off the top of their head for a 1,000-page set of contract documents? I am the design engineer in question being asked questions at progress meetings, but often I don't recall the exact procedural language or spec for a material; I refer back to the contract documents I help wrote. I started laying the contract docs out on the table for easy reference if needed. I am not the resident engineer or the project manager so I am not running through it everyday.

Curious,
Riversidean

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would never expect anyone to remember everything off the top of their head for a 10-page set of CDs, let alone a 1,000-page set. When I have to track down some tidbit of information in the CDs, I rely on my general knowledge about the project design and the configuration of the documents, and then I perform targeted searches in the digital versions of the documents. I also tell the person asking the question that it may take some time to come up with a response, whether it's in a meeting or in answering an email.

============
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back