Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Consultant Design Fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnorris

Civil/Environmental
Apr 24, 2000
US
I am looking to find references/publications regarding Consultant Design Fee percentages as a percent of construction costs.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>I have access to Means, which lists some estimates, but was looking for some other references.<br><br>The particular type of construction I am interested in is Wastewater/Water plants and water/sewer line work.<br><br>I feel sure that either ASCE or WEF or even ENR has such data and publishes it, but am having problems finding it.<br><br>Any assistance would be appreciated.<br><A HREF="mailto:Cnorris@mwwssb.com">Cnorris@mwwssb.com</A>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please remember that the design fee should reflect the amount of effort required to complete the design.&nbsp;&nbsp;Example, the design of sewer and water through a cornfield with no other special conditions to serve a new subdivision can be relatively low, maybe 3-5% of construction cost.&nbsp;&nbsp;However the design of a sewer through a crowded urbanized area with tough soils and many permitting issues will be relatively high, 8 - 12% of construction cost.&nbsp;&nbsp;Permitting issues can account for 50% of the &quot;design effort&quot; in a highly regulatory state like Wisc.&nbsp;&nbsp;A straight percentage doesn't account for the complexity of the design and permitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back