Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contact analysis with TET10 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alakin

Jun 1, 2012
US
Hi i'm trying to run a 101 contact analysis between two solids meshed with TET10. When Patran writes the bdf file it write this card:

BCPARA 0 NBODIES 2 MAXENT 21470 MAXNOD 42940

and NASTRAN gives me this error:

*** USER FATAL MESSAGE 5 (CNX_BOUDRY)
Quadratic elements in contact can only be used in combination with BCPARA and IBSEP=1,2,3 or 4
*** SYSTEM FATAL MESSAGE 4 (MCNTINI)
*** SYSTEM FATAL MESSAGE An error is encountered in Contact subroutine, cnx_boudry (The return error code is 5)

there's some kind of explanation here but i's not my case i think.

however if I mesh the solids with TET4 elements, Patran writes more or less the same card

BCPARA 0 NBODIES 2 MAXENT 21470 MAXNOD 10735

but NASTRAN doesn't give me any error

Can anyone explain me why?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is your Nastran version? Contact on sol 101 is only available with Nastran 2012 of MD Nastran. You need the appropriate Patran as well to be able to write the card properly.

Hi Alakin.

I got my TET10 model to run thanks to help from MSC.

First of all, I am using Nastran 2012; not sure if this works for any earlier Nastran versions.

Secondly, if you are using higher order elements like TET10s, you need to change the following:
In Analysis>Solution Type>Solution Parameters>Contact Parameters>Separation>Separation Criterion, tick the box Stresses as opposed to Forces. Then in Analysis>Solution Type>Solution Parameters>Contact Parameters>Contact Detection, click the Activate Quadratic Contact box.

Hope it runs now.

Regards,

Steven thanks for your help. But is this valid only for the sol 600? if I wanted to run a 101 or 103 how should I do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back