Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contact bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

raguiar

Aerospace
Dec 21, 2015
PT
Hello!

I have to do a linear analysis of tension in a composite's RVE. As it can be seen in the picture, the white part is the matrix and the red is the fiber. I can model it easily. The requested output is the total strain energy.

My problem is to define the deformable contact body.Can you help me?
After modelling the matrix and fiber what should I do next in order to have the correct behaviour between them?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why you want to use contact? if the model is as simple as the picture, you can simply model the two different materials with sharing grid points and you do not need any contact .

If you somehow have "a friction coefficient to define" between the fiber and the matrix, then it could be appropriate to model it as contact.

To model contact, you should have the following:
[ul]
[li]1 set of elements for fiber material (boundary shell elements - these will be the set of boundary shell elements on the "outside layer" of fiber solid elements)[/li]
[li]1 set of element for matrix material (boundary shell elements - these will be the set of boundary shell elements on the "inside layer" of matrix solid elements)[/li]
[li]You will have to define deformable body in Patran for each sets (total: 2 deformable bodies)[/li]
[li]You will have to define a contact Boundary Condition (BCONTACT) which consists of the 2 deformable body IDs in it[/li]
[li]Your BCONTACT card will consist of the following: - friction coefficient, - contact type (glued or non-glued: you should have non-glued if my first sentence in this post applies to your case)[/li]
[/ul]

Hope I didn't skip anything. If I'm missing smt, please add to this post guys. I mostly used this for SOL400 in non-linear analysis, excuse me if something is not accurate.

Also in Patran, there is a utility called "linear gap elements" in Utilies Menu somewhere. In some cases where you don't have friction coefficients, you may also use this if it helps. Not sure about the minus/pluses though. I had used this in Nastran 2005 years ago. But now Nastran 2013 and later version seems to have very enhanced capabilities per many aerospace contact cases.

Spaceship!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back