Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Contact Elements: Accuracy? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jargon5

Aerospace
Aug 11, 2005
US
I have an assembly that I set "Global Contact", and have produced results that are marginally what I expected. Does anyone have any experience with the accuracy of Cosmos contact elements? I am used to NE/Nastran, and know the difficulty of assessing the actual phenomena when using this approach.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
well, yu're asking the impossible, I fear, since CW has only very marginal contact controls. I suppose it is using internal algorythms in order to set proper compenetration tolerance, pinball factor, normal rigidity factor, tangent stiffness factor and so on.
I would consider CWcontact results accurate as far as no high stress gradients are involved (I would be a bit suspicious in cases where surface/surface contact evolves towards edge/surface or even corner/surface contact because of the components' deformation: in these cases, at least the contact stiffness should be updated between timesteps, with consequent non-linear analysis, which is not the case with CW where the contact stiffness is calculated "at start" and then never updated).

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back