Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contact modeling by NE/Nastran

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyLake

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2003
FI
I have heard that the contact modeling is difficult by NE/Nastran, if you want to determine a friction coefficient. Is it true?

I know it's possible to model the contact such a way that there is no friction or friction is infinite.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NENastran supports 4 possible types of contact in their V9 release (general, slide, weld, rough) and 2 possible types in their V8.4 release (general and weld, but you can do all 4 by just adjusting the parameters). It is not difficult at all. In fact I heard they will have a fully automated surface contact capability in V9 which does not require the user to define the contact surfaces manual (it automatically finds them). This will really be helpful.

As for friction, you just specify the coefficient. Leave the stiffness for stick value blank. The program will calculate the best value. Also in V9 it will allow you to specify a maximum slick displacement just like they do a maximum acceptable penetration displacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back