Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contact problem between a tire and the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcfhh

Mechanical
Mar 18, 2015
GB
Hi everyone,

I am trying to do the simulation of lying a 3D tire model lying on the road horizontally and adding load on its sidewall to see its deformation. However I think there is a contact problem in my simulation. When I run the analysis, the analysis did not complete and it showed an error is the msg file. The error is "TIME INCREMENT REQUIRED IS LESS THAN THE MINIMUM SPECIFIED". It also showed a warning as "CONTACT PAIR (SIDEWALL-UP,SROAD) NODE 43652 IS OVERCLOSED BY 102.230 WHICH IS TOO SEVERE."
Then I check the sta file, I found that it ran up to 49th step then stopped.
Could anyone please tell me how to solve this problem?

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Jay

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi jcfhh

what is your minimum time increment set in step module? maybe the model needed lower minimum time to convergence.

from the contact warning, abaqus try to tell u that node 43652 has excessively penetrating the model master surface, which will lead to convergence prob. i would suggest u to do data check before submitting ur job for analysis (for early contact diagnosis). if this overclosed node already happen on time=0, then u may apply free strain adjustment or apply some contact clearance to solve this.

best of luck!

hi fauzi2015

Thanks for your reply. However, since I am a rookie in abaqus and this is for my final year project and my supervisor gave me the input file and asked me to modify to get the result, could you please explain more specifically about how to lower minimum time to convergence, enter the data check command and apply free strain adjustment or contact clearance in input files?

I did some research about overclosure in abaqus documentation actually. I found this following command of contact clearance may be useful. However, I do not know where I should put this command in my 3D input file. Can you please give me some advice?

*CLEARANCE, CPSET=cpset_name, TABULAR" (also could you pleaase tell me what I should type in cpset_name?)

Thank you very much and I am looking forward to hearing you soon.

Best Regards,
jay[/quote]

Hi Fouzi and jcfhh,
Please i knew that's not your subject of talking but i need your help,
I'm trying to model a 3D steel connection between a beam and another beam, or a beam and a column, the most difficult part which i'm looking for is how to model the contact between the bolt and the plate, also contacts between the bolt and washer bolt .
Thank you very much for your help my friends :)

gladiteur: pls check ur thread for my suggestion

jcfhh: u are doing implicit or explicit analysis? for explicit, the adjustment automatically carried out when u start the analysis.
as u are working from inp file..try adjusting/play with the minimum and maximum time increment. usually u may find this under *Step. getting smaller time increment may allows the solver to resolve convergence prob.
for the data check.u can easily find this under job module(abaqus CAE)
if not,alternatively, open an ABAQUS command window and type abaqus j=xxxx.inp datacheck interactive

hope this help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back