Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

contact problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

afefdridi

Mechanical
Jan 31, 2011
TN
hello
I am really stuck me. I hardly found a solution for my problem. In fact I am trying to model a elastomer which will block a wire against another solid as shown in this figure. I applied three steps
Step 1: Opening the elastomeric ring (hyperelastic material)
Step 2: descent of the elastomeric ring
Step 3: Disabling the effort.

I always have the following message: displacement for time increment is too big.
and excessive distortion of a total of 88 points in solid integration Continium
I doubt the contact.
Can anyone help me on this problem. I would be very grateful. thank you

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7b1a9596-9884-41e8-a538-d765acf31e3d&file=20150401_111637.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi afefdridi

based on my exp, the displacement for time increment is too big message are coming from your contact definition. how do you define the contact?

for excessive distortion of a total of 88 points in solid integration Continium message, this one usually can be eliminate by having smaller increment time or try remeshing ur model.

hope this help.

fauzi

@ CLEMENT33 yes i activated the Nlgeom
@@fauzi2015 yes i guess so it is from the contact definition but i do not know what is the cause for this i used surface to surface contact

Hi,
Are the two contacting surfaces COMPLETELY in touch with each other before the analysis start? To check this, perform a DATA CHECK before you SUBMIT the job. Also right click and edit the job. In the PRINT option, toggle on PRINT CONSTRAINT DATA. This will give you details of contact definition and more importantly the CLEARANCE between master and slave nodes in .dat file which you can see by MONITOR option of the job. If the clearance is not zero i.e. negative or positive, then you should edit the interaction. You can ADJUST the clearance by specifying tolerance for adjustment zone, etc. If you already knew whatever I told you, then just ignore this message. Thanks.

@Rstupplebeen sorry but i did not understand what you mean
@UWOVENKY yes the two surfaces are completely in contact

thanks a lot for help

i tried to change the model of the hyperelastic ring from neo hooke to mooney rivlin i can see that it ameliore my model but i have this problem as it is showed in the picture

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=717bf30b-ba60-4b86-8c39-592245795570&file=Sans_titre.png
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back