Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

contact problems in frictional heat generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiZeMaSi

Materials
Dec 16, 2013
DE
Hi guys,

I want to model the heat generation between two parts in Explicit. One of them ("fixed_part") is fixed with a pressure applied, the other one is a orbital sander and moves with a high frequency over the other surface.
I attached some sketches to make the problem a bit clearer.

fixed part: C3D8TR- elements, since I also want to use ALE Meshing; hourglass-control: stiffness; two implemented symmetry-planes
moving part: C3D8T- elements to get rid of hourglassing-problems.

Contact- condition: weighted master-slave with hard contact (normal), penalty (tangential) and of course heat generation
I also used contact initializations in default mode, but I am not sure if this is useful or makes any sense at all

Two steps:
1) Contact: I implemented this one to actually make sure that there will be contact initialization at the beginning, but using small sliding and kinematic contact here.
In Abaqus manual, I found that in Explicit and the weighted master-slave the contact initiation is automatic. This step might possibly be useless, I am not sure.

2) movement: changing contact-properties to penalty contact and finite sliding, since the other options do not bring accurate results at all

The input file is not complete, so it should not work like this. But what is important to me is the contact-condition: Due to the movement of the moving_part, each revolution there is some space on the fixed_part which is not covered. So I expect a higher heat generation in the middle of the fixed_part, and a lower one closer to the outer surface.
It occurs to me, that there is only heat generation at certain edges of elements which is propagated to the rest of the surface by heat conduction.
The manual also recommends the use of extended surfaces over the edges, but if I use those, the model gets inaccurate results very early in the simulation.

Did I do any mistake in the contact initialization? What could be possible reasons for the inhomogeneous heat generation?

Thanks in advance!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back