Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contact Resistance Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

PH927

Electrical
Oct 30, 2006
US
I have to do a contact resistance test on a bus we have installed. The meter I have is a DRM-100 made by Adwel. Does anyone have any advice, tips, tricks, dos or don’ts? Sorry I’m so vague but this is the best I can do with the nature of the customer.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You mean on a bus connection right?

You should have a 100A output for bus connections, and you simply compare the phases to each other and make sure they are within 5% of each other. Bus connections may also be checked with a calibrated torque wrench or a IR scan under load.

It is a very simple test. Remember the Ohms law, your applying dc voltage /injecting current and measuring the resistance. your meter will read resistance in milli or micro ohms.Record this value for future use if this is a new equipment. If you are conducting this test on a existing equipment compare the test values with old readings. As I wrote before this value will be very less. If you get a higher reading make sure to inspect the contact for dirt, worn out are any other possible reasons. Hope this will help you.
regards

It may be helpful to note that, for accuracy’s sake, milliohm and microohm measurements are made using 4 leads {a Kelvin measurement}. The two current connections are made “outside” of the potential points of contact, while the two potential leads are connected (or “spiked”) exactly at the measurement point of interest.

Actually it is a Wheatstone Bridge, not a Kelvin Bridge. Same basic idea. Goes back to my favorite saying "You cant measure resistance", you can only calculate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back