Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contact thermal conductance

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq9481

Materials
May 27, 2011
US
Hi,

My simulation is coupled temp-displacement analysis which consist of two parts.

Part1 penetrates Part2 and makes elastic-plastic deformation,heat transfer and then detached.

Simulation runs very well.(when i use arbitary contact thermal conductance value)

Problem is that I don't know how to calculate contact thermal conductance.

Could anybody let me know how to calculate that in below condition?
1. thermal conductivity of two parts is A and B respectively
2. contact has perfect contact surface(no voids at the interface, surface waviness, and surface roughness, etc)
3. pressure effect can be ignored.

thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did some searching a while back for something similar and based on what I found it sounded like this needs to be measured, there is no analytical way of determining it.

For perfect contact I'd expect the thermal conductance to be as heat flow across a material boundary. What thermal resistance would incur? ie. with a surface roughness you'd expect partial thermal contact, varying with pressure, and with some heat flow via radiation across voids which increased as the pressure decreased.

Tara

I had faced a similar situation while doing a fully coupled analysis. I just assumed perfect contact , did a thermal resistance network analysis to help me find the temperature values. Abaqus calculates gap conductance as hgap =q/deltaT . Knowing the calculated temp values and since my problem involved a heat flux load , I was able to back out a gap conductance value. At least this way I came closer to an expected gap conductance value than use some random number. Also , if you specify a gap conductance value that is very low , then you will face convergence problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back