Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

contact -too much penetration

Status
Not open for further replies.

mel08

Bioengineer
Sep 24, 2008
AU
I have an issue with contact. I have a screw thread surrounded by highly porous bone, and I am trying to model tightening of the screw.
I have run my model with a fully bonded contact condition & the model solves without convergence issues.
I now am trying to simulate friction with a friction coefficient of 0.1.
The simulation is solved as a static structural. To start with, I am just trying to rotate the screw 10degrees over 10 substeps.
I have set up a local co-ordinate system & the BC's are correct because it behaves properly with the to surfaces bonded.
With friction, it will solve the first substep & then cannot converge on the second.
I have checked the contact status with a zero load (ie before any substeps) & after the first substep it will solve and there doesn't seem to be any standout problems with the contact.
I have set FKN to 1.0 (with lower FKN i have errors stating too much penetration). & pinball region set to 0.02 constant value (element size is 0.06). Stiffness is set to update each iteration, with the augmented lagrange algorithm and contact detection by nodes ( should this be the Guass points?). I have set the initial adjust to exclude everything.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thank you

Melissa Ryan
PhD Candidate
Biomedical Engineering
Flinders University
South Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back