containerised pumphouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Free Forester

Industrial
Jan 15, 2024
GB
Hi all,

I'm a fabricator currently building a fabricated (ISO Container style) pumphouse for a client in Africa,it will house 3 pre assembled FM/UL pump packages 2 x electric, 1 x diesel (factory assembled baseplates, pumps, drivers, controllers etc). The pumphouse will also house all associated pipework and valves etc along with heating and ventilation etc. The pumpsets are all FM Approved and UL Listed. The complete pumphouse will be CE marked, does it also need to be listed, if so by whom? I don't see any listed pumphouses in the UL registers?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I vote no

As long as you meet all the requirements where it is going.

Not sure if you are just supplying it, or setting it up once there?

Or who is responsible for making sure the site meets local requirements,,, as in say not setting it a foot from a fuel farm.

I'd like to think No also.

We are only supplying the pumphouse, install on site is by others.

The diesel and electric pumpsets are FM/UL Approved/Listed packages. The pumphouse is sold as 'in accordance with NFPA standards' and this is where I am concerned with the following (my comments in brackets):

4.31.1 A packaged fire pump assembly, with or without an
enclosure, shall meet all of the following requirements:
(1) The components shall be assembled and affixed onto a
steel framing structure. (Complied - The diesel & electric pumpsets are assembled on to steel baseplates by the pump manufacturer and tested at their facility and then installed in to the container by us).
(2) Welders shall be qualified in accordance with the
Section 9 of ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code or with
the American Welding Society AWS D1.1/D1.1M, Structural
Welding Code — Steel. (Complied)
(3) The assembly shall be listed for fire pump service - (Listed by who? I don't any such containerised packages in any UL listings. The diesel & electric pumpsets are FM Approved/UL Listed for fire pump service).
(4) The total assembly shall be engineered and designed by a
system designer as referenced in 4.3.2. (is this relevant to the containerised pumphouse or the site fire fighting system in it's entirety? both have different designers)
(5) All plans and data sheets shall be submitted and reviewed
by the authority having jurisdiction, with copies of the
stamped approved submittals used in the assembly and
for record keeping. (Plans and data sheets are submitted to our customer, their client is responsible for on site install and communication/sign off by any AHJ).

However NFPA 20 3.3.49.12 Defines a Packaged Fire Pump Assembly as follows. Fire pump unit
components assembled at a packaging facility and shipped
as a unit to the installation site. The scope of listed components
(where required to be listed by this standard) in a preassembled
package includes the pump, driver, controller,
and other accessories identified by the packager assembled
onto a base with or without an enclosure. (We comply with the scope of listed component ie pump, driver, controller).
and other accessories

In away not much different

Pump skid delivered

Gets stuck in a building or they build the building around it.?????

As a practical matter there are 3 AHJ's that need to be satisfied, The jurisdictional authorities, the underwriter, the customer. Per the above you state that
customer responsibility said:
(Plans and data sheets are submitted to our customer, their client is responsible for on site install and communication/sign off by any AHJ).
I suggest a RFI to the customer stating something like "for components of this packaged assembly not specified in the NFPA Listed Fire Pump Assembly or NFPA 20, the code of construction will be ****.

One item to verify on the listed pump assemblies. Most pump / motor bases are constructed with the assumption that they will be mounted to a stiff concrete foundation, a container floor is not stiff, so design consideration is needed. Recommend discussing with your pump supplier as you may need to specify a pump base / skid designed for this sort of setting in your order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back