Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Continues corbel supporting slab and staircase columns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aakalim103

Structural
Jan 26, 2019
FI
We have a situation where we need to support the columns for an outside staircase on a corbel extending from bottom slab slab of the building, as shown in the attached figure. I have seen design and analysis procedures for an isolated corbel but I can't find much for a continues corbel. Since we mainly have concentrated loads from the columns, I am planning to design this as a unit width isolated corbel (except the horizontal ties) and then replicate the design. Has anyone seen designed a similar kind of corbel and how should i go about designing and detailing it.

Also, for these kind of situations I am told that the standard practice in our region is to use these proprietary joint reinforcements as shown in the figure. The joint reinforcement is cast together with the slab and then the corbel can be casted at a later stage. I am not sure if this will work since the joint reinforcement only comes in these standard shape as shown and I am doubtful if we can use this as the main tension steel of the corbel; we will need additional tension steel that will be anchored in the wall anyways.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=aaf25faf-4aa2-43bb-949e-acc4147ebe66&file=Untitled.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The PCI handbook has provisions for the design of inverted tee beam ledges that support concentrated loads. I think that method would be both applicable and advantageous for the situation that you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back