Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Continuing Education to Maintain PE While Working as Project Manager 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wijgeng

Structural
Dec 23, 2014
US
Hi, I am a civil PE who changed career paths shortly after getting licensed. I've only renewed my license once and I was grandfathered in because I just passed my PE exam. As I mentioned, I've switched career paths and structural/civil engineering is not directly related to the day to day activities my employer and I are engaged in.

I have a couple questions about obtaining continuing education:
1. Do my credits need to be civil related? Or can they just be technical in nature like mechanical, electrical, etc?
2. Do project management related courses count to maintain my PE?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends on the state where you hold your license. They should have an explanation of the CE policies on their website, or I would give the board a call and ask for clarification.

wijgeng, I agree with birneys that you need to check with your state's PE license continuing education requirements. I'm registered in Texas as a mechanical engineer put have been working as an engineering manager and project manager for the last 10 years and I'm also a PMP. I have used project management related courses (earned value management, negotiation) from various continuing education sources to satisfy both PE and PMP continuing education requirements. I still take technical only classes for my PE renewal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back