Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Continuous ball mill - Power requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drFCraft

Chemical
Sep 21, 2006
NO
Does anyone have a reasonable Rule of thumb (or expression) for calculating the required power to crush coarse ore to a given mean particle size?

I'd assume its a function of the ore 'crush strength', desired particle size and feed rate, but cant find anything concrete in my texbooks.

Any tips much appreciated :eek:)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

drFCraft

You are on the right track.

There are a couple of material parameters, defined through standard tests of the ore, that will give you a basic guide.

For crushing, the Unconfined Compressive Strength (UCS) provides a guide. Units are MPa.

For ball milling you need the Bond Ball Mill Work Index. Units are kWh/t. Knowing the Bond Work Index and the feed and product sizes you can calculate the power input required.

If you post more detail about the application and ore, we might be able to predict performance using values from similar ore types.

Cheers,

Nigel

In Ullmanns Encyklopaedie der technischen Chemie Band 2 (my version is in German Language) there 23 pages devoted to size reduction, with literature citations. There was another book, Crushing and Grinding that I had in my hands, but I do not remember any publishing detail.
m777182

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back