Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Continuous recirculation loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

sargon

Mechanical
Nov 27, 2002
PE
I have a trouble, we have to design a continuous recirculation loop with a purified water storage tank and a pump with a bladder type tank. The discharge pressure should be 40 - 60 psi (requirements of equipment connected to the line of purified water), and the pressure at the return line must be near 22 psi (requirements of equipment). But the losses in the system are 32 psi. The question is if I could set a relief valve at the last point of the return line, which open at 22 psi.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi

I am not quiet sure of your design, but from my experience you have to intall the relief valve as close as the equipment you want to protect, otherwise the opening pressure of the relief valve will be over the desire value (my guess is that you want to protect your pump for low flow conditions), also you have to take into account that the backpressure that generates the piping at the discharge of the relief valve must be lower that the value your valve vendor suggests.

bill

The idea of keeping a relief valve at the end of the loop is to ensure water in the loop always and at no point of time the loop is empty. Back pressure control valves are used for this purpose. Try Alfa Laval for one.

Regards.

Repetition is the foundation of technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back