Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contorl Valve Help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

INSDE08

Materials
May 30, 2008
AU
Hi All
I need to connect a butterfly valve + elctro pneumatic acutator to the Bialey DCS. But in order ot make it run ON/OFF . How many wires do ineed to run from the valve to the junction Box and to the terminal room.

Is one dekron wire enough?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For On/Off you should need just two wires for the solenoid unless you need a feedback switch, 2 more.
For modulating valve you will need 1 pair of shielded wires 28 AWG or greater.
Roy

I'm not sure I'm interpreting your question correctly but it sounds like you have a positioner waiting for a 4-20mA signal and you want to make it work as an On-Off valve?

If that is what you have, then a two wire cable is all you need together with the software set up to ask for 100% open and 0% open. This assumes you dont need limit switch feedback.

The answer is, .... two wires.

However it would be good to know what you meant by "elctro pneumatic acutator" as this could be loosely interpreted as a solenoid (on off in nature), or e/p positioner (modulating in nature)

If it is the former, then you will need a relay output from the DCS with a source of power to match the solenoid rating.

If it is the latter, then you will also require an air supply and the to operate 4-20mA as "on/off" it would reqire the signal to come from a control output from the DCS system. The PID settings in the controller would also have to be set with an infinitely small proportional band and no integral or derivative action.

I trust this helps,
Mlv

Why bother with PID when a simple transfer block controlled by a digital flag gives 0 and 100%? PID just makes for needless complication!

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

A simple transfer block with a digital flag from a Bialey DCS, will not normally product a mA output . So if your "elctro pneumatic acutator" is actually an electro pneumatic valve positioner. Then you will not have achieved anything.

I accept that if your "elctro pneumatic acutator" has a solenoid fitted with a suitable coil rating, which can be fed directly from the DCS digital output, then I would agree with Scottyuk that a simple transfer block with a digital flag would be more appropriate.

So it still comes down to what is meant by
"elctro pneumatic acutator"

I trust this helps,
Mlv

I don't know the Bailey system but an analogue transfer block with one input at 0% and the other at 100% would drive a 4-20mA output on just about any DCS, probably allowing control of the slew rate when opening and closing. Maybe Bailey is different?

I agree - we are missing some important detail here!

image.php

Ha-ha, I hadn't looked that far back in the thread!

image.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back