Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

contractor wants to use 8" block an

Status
Not open for further replies.

Materofact

Civil/Environmental
Feb 21, 2015
US
contractor wants to use 8" block and no bigger than #5 bars. as opposed to pilastering,butressing, etc..., I cant figure what would be wrong with bundling (2) #5 bars for the verticals, or (2),then (1) every other course staggered? thoughts? ready set go...

(edit- for clarity at request)

retaining wall pushing over the limits of what #5 bars on 8" centers can do in a block cmu retaining wall. how about (2) #5 at 8" o.c. vertical, a two bundle for the stem steel?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So your concerns/questions are not clear at all.

Try again explaining what you had wanted, what he wants, what your concerns are, what does the structure in question need to do. We aren't standing at your desk looking at the pictures/drawings with you. We need you to paint a full picture.

Capture_ifgmws.jpg

So the contractor doesn't want to build a wall that will stand up? That's his problem. Can you put a double #5 in an 8" block - possibly. Is it a good idea? No, not really. Mortar fins would have to be non-existent, splicing will be very difficult, grout will have to be very fine. There are a lot of ways to screw it up and the contractor already sounds like somebody who doesn't really care what the engineer has to say. Give him something difficult to build that will be hidden until structure falls down? Yea...he'll build it that way...

And why, exactly, did you put a masonry retaining wall question in the wood design forum?

Very unclear question. How about some basic additional information such as height of retaining wall, footing size, etc..., better yet, how about you sketch a cross section. Based upon the information provided to date, I am really curious about the footing that this 8" block retaining wall attaches to, which I imagine will lead to other questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back