Contracts for work under 1k 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD4Engineer

Civil/Environmental
Oct 31, 2019
US
thread507-414298

Im starting to do some work in California that requires a contract. Where do i start? A lawyer? ASCE has some but they seem awfully long. Anyone do 1 page contracts for small jobs? Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would hire a lawyer to create a short form contract for you to use.

The most important thing it should do is limit your liability to much less than your insurance limits. You don't want to expose yourself to one or two million dollars in liability for a small fee.

DaveAtkins

Maybe not the best advice but I took some old short form contracts I had from other past employers, the ASCE short-form contract, and some general internet legal advice and made a 1-page terms and conditions of what I consider the most critical contract items attached to a simple cover letter. I've attached a blank version that you can modify and use at your own risk.

Ian Riley, PE, SE
Professional Engineer (ME, NH, VT, CT, MA, FL, CO) Structural Engineer (IL, HI)

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8f5dde21-21c2-42fa-949e-c31ed1fbfc7a&file=Proposal_Template_-Blank.docx
I would run any contract you use by your E&O insurance carrier. That goes for any contract you present to a client, or any contract your client presents to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back