Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Control Transformer Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

450x

Electrical
Mar 14, 2006
CA
Hello

I am building a control cabinet that is destined for Austria. In this cabinet are various devices that will accept input power from 85vac to 260vac 50/60Hz. I am going to install a 400:230 single phase transformer to power these devices. The size will be around 1 to 1.5 kva. I also want to provide a household plug to power trouble shooting equipment.

My question is with respect to grounding the secondary of the 400:230vac transformer. Should I ground the center tap or the bottom tap.

If I ground the center tap I will need 2-pole circuit breakers for all of my circuits?

If I ground the bottom tap of the transformer I only need 1 pole circuit breakers. If I do this, will it suitable for the household plug? The household plugs are of Type C(I think) They have 2 round prongs for power plus a ground prong. If I ground the bottom tap of the transformer it will meen two of the prongs for the plug will be grounded. Is this correct?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First of all if you would ground the center tap it will be 115 V with respect to ground. The safety touch voltage according to DIN VDE 0100 is less than 50 V[ac] 120 V [dc].In order to protect person against direct contact you have to provide a sensitive residual-current-operated circuit breaker with a rated fault current less than 30 mA. As primary voltage is 400 V one has to ground at least one point of the secondary winding. The hosehold receptacle socket have to be provided with 3 contacts-one live, one neutral and one ground [or earth].
All the metallic parts of all appliances has to be bonded to ground.The neutral and the grounding wire has to be continuous without any breaker ,switch or fuse.
There is a possibility to avoid appliance bonding to ground if this device is double-insulated .Also, instead of residual-current-operated circuit breaker, one may use a rapid disconnecting means of maximum 0.2 sec trip time. But I don't
propose to use it instead.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back