Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Control valve straight run requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivarfar

Petroleum
Jan 12, 2006
NO
I'm currently working in a gas compressor module project. As always there is an anti-surge loop with an anti-surge control valve in our module.
Some collegues of mine insist that there should be straight pipe runs (e.g. 6D/4D) on either side of the control valve. It is referred to as good engineering practice. Nobody has come up with a reference to specs, standards, guidelines or the like. I have searched the literature on contol valves that I've come across. No mention of straight runs. Until the oppsite is proven I consider the requirement as a rumor.

Has anybody any reference to a reliable source on this topic?

ivar.farmen@aibel.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've never seen an actual "don't do it" recommendation, but you must take piping geometry into account in calculating valve characteristics to prevent possible cavitation.

There's a good discussion of this in the Emerson/Fisher Control Valve Handbook. I couldn't quickly find a copy to post for you, but I'm betting it's available online from Emerson...

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back