Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Control valves for oxygen service 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicorvp

Mechanical
Nov 6, 2002
US
I'm defining a piping specification for oxygen gas and liquid and I need to know if and what kind of hand valves are used in oxygen service to control and regulate the flow rate e.g. globe valves or others.
Please, possibly let me know also some manufacturer.
Thanks in advance
Nicorvp

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The primary concern with process valving in oxygen service is related to the propensity of pure oxygen to ignite whether incompatible material, unfavorable process conditions, or unanticipated events are introduced to the process.

Among the acceptable materials of construction for valves used in oxygen service are carbon steel, stainless steel, bronze, ductile iron and monel. The choice depends on how much heat is generated from the compression of O2 gas when valves are shut off, or from velocity of the gas moving through the pipeline. Copper and alloys of copper are preferred due to their no-sparking properties. Monel is
probably the most common copper alloy used on process valving. Copper and its alloys should be considered especially when pipeline velocities are over 200 ft/sec. Carbon and stainless materials are acceptable when velocities are below 200 ft/sec. Valve seating should
be PTFE or reinforced PTFE when possible. Special cleaning and O2-safe lubricants are also required for valves installed in oxygen service.

There maybe several valve manufacturers who can supply you valves for O2 service but we have used DEZURIK. Look at Dezurik.com for more info.

Nicorvp, Oxygen has unique and hazardous properties. Handling it either in the gaseous or liquid state, is a specialized field. Consult with known experts, (reputable valve manufacturers with wide experience in oxygen applications)on system design considerations. Such as, system cleanliness, flow rates, and material selection. Avoid quick opening valves, and make sure that they do not become contaminated in storage.

Hope this helps.
saxon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back