Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Control Wall w/orifice, advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDEdwards

Civil/Environmental
May 10, 2006
US
I have two very large pre-cast storm structures(round), that have a control wall inside of them. These walls got overlooked at bid time, and I am now responsible for figuring out the easiest, but most cost effective way to fabricate these in the field. Both of these structures are at the outlet ends of large underground detention systems, and the walls are required to slow the rate of flow down. I am only aware of two choices, steel or concrete, to make these out of. The wall that goes in thelargest of the two structures is detailed as being seven feet tall with three orifices in it. I am debating if the steel plate would be easier than trying to pour in place concrete. Not sure if any of you have run into anything like this, but if so, some advice would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I work in the water and wastewater design area and we do this type of retrofit all the time. Concrete is probably the way to go. You can dowel it into the exisitng structure, waterstop it with special retrofit waterstops and generally shape it to your needs. With steel, you need to worry about coating and fitup. Plus, you'll be surprised how thick or how many stiffeners you'll need with steel.

If you put steel in the structure, it would have to be pre-fabbed and placed right? Why dont you go with concrete like Jed said, but cast it like a tilt wall to your specified design and dimensions and then place it. Much quicker than casing in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back