Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Control wire numbering 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

redox

Electrical
Nov 6, 2002
ZA
I am looking for a standard number (prefarable IEC, but reference to any other standard would also be helpful) regarding the numbering of panel-wires. M is for instance a motor circuit, C10 a protection CT circuit on the red phase, B a busbar CT circuit, J the DC control voltage, etc. Thank you so much. R

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Redox

In the UK (and used around the world) the "standard" was BEBS12, this gives the standard for the wire numbering in LV - HV switchgear panels. However they never showed any examples so some manufacturers and designers interpretate the standards in diffrent ways.
I have added a link to the old BEBS12-1964(pdf) hope this is what you are looking for (the quality is not perfect but readable).
There may be a IEC standard, but no one I know uses it.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7526002e-78cb-4528-bd40-30400d0e3b37&file=BEBS12.pdf
I don't think there is some common standard in numbering. From my experience - I have worked on commissioning of substations designed by German, French, Belgian, Russian and Bulgarian companies - there is nothing common in numbering.
German companies usually don't mark wires due to high labor cost for writing and putting ferrules.
In some countries of East Europe we have a common system based on former USSR standards. Actually I don't know whether it have been defined in a standard or just by some big design company (we had such ones, employed several thousands designers and they created some standard practices simply for their own convenience). If you are interested I could give some more details. But this system is more or less abandoned nowadays as new projects are delivered on turn-key basis and each contractor uses it's own design system.

General practice is to use xL+, xL- for DC circuits, with x substituted by number. Also usual L1, L2, L3 for AC phase circuits, or R,S,T, or R,Y,B - it depends on the country.

Also often wire numbers are generated by CAD software in consecutive order without any meaning, just to define the wire.

------------------------
It may be like this in theory and practice, but in real life it is completely different.
The favourite sentence of my army sergeant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back