Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Controlling Positional Tolerance of a Slot Axis

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmarkus

Mechanical
Jul 11, 2001
CA
I have a slot (elongated hole) on my part which I wish to give a positional tolerance. The size tolerance for the slot is given, but I wish to control the centre of the slot within a diamteral zone. Can I use the diameter symbol in the FCF? I am getting conflicting answers within my organization, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks,
Jeff

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Umm...Thread1103-115899 is the one I started on a different topic (using the slot as a datum). What I am asking now is can I control the axis of the slot in a diametral tolerance zone. The alternative is a square tolerance zone - which, from what I understand, was one of the reasons GD&T improved over simple dimension tolerancing.

Jeff

Slots are best controlled with two FCBs, one for the vertical axis and one for the horizontal. Granted, you do end up with a rectangular tolerance zone, but you have more control over it than you would with the square tolerance zone that +/- dimensioning would give you.

jmarkus,

The GD&T positional tolerance is not just for round things and holes. Check out page 92 in ASME Y154.5M-1994, where they apply it to a pitch circle of rectangular slots.

I have only one objection. The whole point of a slot is that you only need to be accurate in one direction. The positional tolerance controls two.

JHG

In the Y14.5 training I had, we did a slot with the width controlled by True Position of .001 and the length controlled by True Position of .020.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back