Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Controllogix path

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesy29847

Electrical
Feb 28, 2003
US
I have several RS5000 projects and when I opne some of them if I select Communications->Go Online all is well, some files however give me a communications path error. When I get this error I go online using Communications->Who Active and even if I save the file I still have to use Who Active to get online the next time.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Its been my experience that if you just use the "Communications->Go Online", you have the possibility of going online with the wrong processor.

It would a pain if you had two unit ops that had the same programs and you assumed that the path was correct using the above method.

Use the "Who Active" drill down through your RSLinx to the correct path, then your assured of getting online with the correct processor.

Controlsdude thanks for your prompt reply, I should have been more specific in my post.

I am trying to find out why this occurs, for my own edification if nothing else, the file has a communication path and even when the path is correct I still seem to have this trouble. My thinking is that once the project has been set up with the proper path, Who Active should be moot.

Regards, jonesy.

when you drill down with RSLinx you can set or clear the path that was in there before.

Also, if another person named their driver differently than yours that is why it has a problem finding the path.

Again, it is not advisable to accept the default path as stated above in the last post. It has burnt me before, past experience.

Can you be more specific about drilling down, we are working from a single laptop then a single terminal once in the plant, so the drivers will have the same name.

I am trying to correct this situation, so the plant techs don't need to use Who Active, you can connect to the wrong processor there too.

Thanks

"when you drill down with RSLinx you can set or clear the path that was in there before."

Is a mis-statement, or at least confusing, RSLinx is an application, not a menu choice.

Using Communications->Who Active would have been a correct statement.

My reply to you was an expression of gratitude for your attempt at helping, and indicated the problem was solved, a "your welcome" from you was all that was expected, I sure didn't expect the attitude.

Regards

Hello Jones29847. I"ve got A quick question.I have worked myself into the controls dept. The Engineers have set me up with access to the controls software, and have turned me loose to learn on my own the sofware logic 5000 and slc 500, with limited guidance. Any heads up you can give me to make this A timely and positive learning experience would be appreciated.

Hello Jones29847. I"ve got A quick question.I have worked myself into the controls dept. The Engineers have set me up with access to the controls software, and have turned me loose to learn on my own the sofware logic 5000 and slc 500, with limited guidance. Any heads up you can give me to make this A timely and positive learning experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back