Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ControLogix vs SLC5/05 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cesgibis

Electrical
Jan 21, 2003
BH
I have to replace an existing SLC500 with another AB PLC.
The new PLC will have additional Ethernet, DH and Modbus comunication capabilities.

I would go for a ControlLogix, but I am not sure it will integrate with existing PLC-5 and SCADA, especially for the Ethernet communication .

Should I chose a ControLogix or a SLC 5/05 ?

Does anyone have a feedback or advice on this topic?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello;
The AB ControlLogix platform is the flagship of the AB line. The PLC 5 line is no longer recommended for new installations.
You can go either way. Both the ControlLogix and the SLC500 platforms have all of the communication interfaces you mentioned. Question: If you have to replace an existing SLC500 system, why replace it with another SLC500?
For the Modbus protocol, you must use a third party converter, usually one from ProSoft. They make modules that fir into either the SLC or ControlLogix racks.

Another point is "Do you have any other ControlLogix installations in the facility" If this is going to be the first and only, the cost to make the move to the ControlLogix may not be worth it.

In reference to the cost...additional software will have to be bought (very costly) to program the ControlLogix and the programming of the PLC is different and more involved than with the SLC500.

The control logix is a great platform to use. It is a little more difficult to get a handle on it if you are not used to it, but it does have advantages. The major downfall is that the controller and other hardware costs alone are sometimes more than double the SLC 5/05.

About integrating the Control Logix and the PLC5 it is totally possible. In fact, we are now upgrading our system and the Controller used to be a Pyramid Integrator PLC 5/250 and we are exchanging to a Control Logix. The Racks will continue to be PLC 5 and we will communicate via RIO. The Ethernet will be the way to connect to RSView and we have also a Gateway connection.
The Control Logix has more versatility in the future. The programming, maintenance and troubleshooting is also better (that is my opinion!).

Ok, now I'm interested. How much does it costs in REAL dollars to get set up in a Control Logix rack. Price including development tools such as software, cables, converters, rack, cpu, a little I/O. I'm not an AB guy so try to include all the stuff you might otherwise assume someone to have. I'm looking for another high-end system to add to my repetoire. Does this do motion integration well, in your opinion? What drive module are available such as servo and stepper drives? Someone above says it's a little hard to master. Why, and how much more difficult is it than the 5/04? How does it's programming software perform, in your opinion?

I hope I can give you an APROX answer "skill".

The key issue is the size of the system. Up to about $5k the SLC will be cheaper... above that the CLX will gradually become more cost effective. For large and complex systems say over 1000 I/O the CLX will win out everytime.

This is because the CLX I/O is denser, offers DeviceNet and RIO scanners with much larger image sizes, far more flexible comms options, and best of all the programming will be done in about 50 - 70% of the time and SLC takes to get the same job done.

The main hurdle for most users is getting into the RSLogix 5000 software for the first project. IMHO this software is certainly comparable to many other professional CAD packages as a tool. The quality and functionality of the logic editor is what you the user acutally "sees" when using any PLC...most cheaper or "free" alternatives are worth more or less what you paid for them.

In my opinion on CLX Controllers, it is the future of PLC controls. With my first project using CLX, I was able to integrate 17 servo axis', Devicenet, Serial interface and Digital I/O in one rack. The processor power, motion interface and overall usability was astounding and very simple achieve. Price is an issue, but well worth it for any high power demanding application. I would choose CLX over SLC platform anyday.

Dear,
First in SCADA side:
What is your SCADA system ?.is your PLC RTU for SCADA or it connected via another RTU? what is the protocol used?. Those question I think guide you to right selection.
up to my knowledge AB PLCs can easily communicated with any system support the MODBUS and I think Ethernet make it easier.
But my big question why you want to replace SLC500 I think you can use Ethernet /RS 232 by selecting a suitable board.
You can find some useful information in the following link
Regrds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back