Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contur only loaded to sufrace bodies, not solids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wnuczko

Mechanical
Jan 7, 2016
PL
Hi guys,

I'm more Ansys man. But checking Femap for my new project. I did a simple model 2x L-Profile out of surfaces and 2x boxes (solid). L-profile connected by 2 edges to box, box to box, box to second L-profile, all glued, one side fixed, force on second side. Model created in Femap. Silmulations was finised. Only one warning 4690 (FOELCSS) (important? no idea).

How come contur only appears on surface bodies, not on solid boxes. However I see them moving thus taking some loads?
See:
Second thing, What does it mean when midsurface/automatic result is grey, not green as most surfaces?

Cheers,
Mateusz

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Loading ? it look like you have a nodal load on one corner of the solid plate.

grey means it has no value for the chosen vector (in this case plate top von mises is a vector associated with 2D elements). to plot results for the solid (3D) plate, looks for solid stress vectors.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Thanks. I will try to find other contour. I hope it is possible to display von mises on all types of elements at one time. Otherwise it looks strange to client.

True, there is a force in point - I did it to make sure some stress action is in this plate.

Regarding grey color this is a different case and diferent calculation. I meant that after midsurface extraction shell models are green color (youtube tutorials etc.) And for me it apperad partially green (square tubes) partially grey (I-beams). Does it mean something important? Surfaces are not corrupted?

Rgds,

under "deform and contour options" there is "multiple contours" and "two sided contours" (to plot plate and solid stresses on a single plot.

the green shade is the undeformed piece, the grey is the deformed piece (since the nodes have valid deflections) but no valid stress vector to plot.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back