Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convective heat transfer using Fluent

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamboram

Mechanical
Nov 26, 2010
DE
Hello all,

I am starting to work with Fluent to model convection heat transfer (Natural convection) between a solid which is generating heat and a surrounding volume of air (the volume is fixed). I have tried two methods so far

1. defining these two bodies as a single part and by doing so I get a conjucate mesh on the boundry (between solid and fluid)
2. deining these two bodies as a individual parts, the individual faces of the solid as a named selection, upon updating it in Fluent I get respective shadow walls.

Now, in both cases I have no successes so far. I know there is a problem in wall BC definition. Now I have the basic settings right. Can you tell me some reading/video material where I could understand the wall BC definitions better(esp for thermal problems).

one more question. I have worked relatively a lot in Ansys Thermal, can I model the fixed volume of air around the body as a 3D Model and simulate it in FEM? Will it make good sense? because the air in our case is not moving around and the volume might also be same because its a closed environment.

Looking forward your suggestions!
Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back